Thursday, October 9, 2008

Some Models for Dowry Calculation

Background
This thought came while I was busy refuting a blogger whom I had met in the cyberspace through a common friend. She had written something about matrimonial ads and had bashed up mankind very unkindly through politically correct language. Added to that were some psychopaths who had boosted up her ego without a critical thought on her writting and made her believe that she was championing the cause of women. Well what followed in a nutshell was that I engaged myself in a debate with her and when she saw the ground beneath her slipping, she gave a few lectures to me on humilty and respect and vanished away with a huff! Well insecure people can never sell secure ideas. 

Anyway I dedicate this piece of writing to that very individual who provided the much in demand food for thought for these models to germinate in my cerebral space. 

Approach 1- An econometric model for dowry calculation
Problem definition: Marriage can be defined as a transaction of goods, services and emotions between partners.
 
The variables for transaction and the means to measure them: Three variables I am taking for defining transactions - goods, services and emotions.
1- Emotions can be measured as EQ of each partners and a correlation of them can be entered in the model

2- Services can be measured as the "number of trips/month" to finalize the match. In affection marriages its usually very high since lot of convincing stuff to make the families agree has to take place

A note on affection marriage - The term affection marriage has been coined by me to define what is called as love marriage by the blind-in-love mortals. This is because these love marriages are the ones which provides the fodder for the numbers to swell up the divorce registers. My question is, "Can love end?" After lot of debates and arguments with self and critically observing such affairs (I mean that word!) I arrived at a conclusion - "That love can end if its done with a reason. Anything that is done with a reason ends with a reason." But love is reason-less. And hence what is prevalent before us is affection marriage in the garb of love marriage. I define affection marriage as a time bound emotional contract that builds up between two individuals for a tangible reason. 

3- Goods we can keep as a question. Rather we shall discover how much dowry one must pay to keep the marriage working.

4- This can be regressed against the "nember of years one wants to stay in the marriage" which can be measured as "anniversary".
 
Equation: Anniversary = y + EQ + no. of trips/month + Goods to be given ( y = intercept).
 
This way one can calculate the goods or dowry one has to give/take scientifically.
 
Approach 2- An alternative appraoch
This model is a different way to look at the problem of dowry.
 
Again keeping the same variables as defined previously.....
 1- Anniversary is directly proportional to higher correlation of EQ scores. - This is pretty logical I guess and no need of any explanation.
2- Anniversary is inversely proportional to service exchanged. Now service exchange is defined as no. of trips/month made by partners to satisfy families to agree to their union. Hence this leads to emotional drain and hence emotional loss. Many times they have to abandon their plans and an "affection marriage" fails to initiate. I want to clarify this more. It may happen that the partners may not marry at all to anyone in their lifetime resisting the resistance. But thats beyond the scope of the model. The assumption is the partners do eventually marry each other. It follows the success-only criterion.
3- Anniversary is directly proportional to goods or dowry given/taken. I take a more economic standpoint here. More the dowry got, more the spending/purchasing power of the husband for the wife and hence less percieving of the wife as an economic burden.
 
So the equation becomes: Anniversary = k X EQ X months/trip X goods
 
Facts abt equation (units): k = constant, EQ = no units, trip = measured in kms., goods = measured in Rs (lakhs), Anniversary = years
 
So k's unit is km/Rs (lakhs) (since year and month cancel each other !)
 
I define "k" as the "mile-age constant of a marriage"; and its implications I give below. 
 
Implications:
As one can see, if the denominator, that's goods, increases, the mileage constant decreases, i.e. the distance between the guy and girl (physical and assumed to be emotional) decreases with every extra rupee spent; it means the guy and the girl are ready to bear anything and stay on since a huge cost has been involved. So high dowry marriages are "stable", stability again being defined purely based on no. of years spent together. No taking into account of emotions.
 
Mile age constant has to be decreased for marriage to last - thats the thesis. So one more way  to decrease the "k" is to decrease number of trips. It happens if parents are cooperative and realize marriage is the business of two individuals and all they have the role is to felciliate the union. Hence dowry asked is decreased too. Such marriages are stable provided the EQ of the individuals have a high correlation and assumed not to change over time.
 
Societal implications of the current model:
1- A database of mile-age constants of all marriages in every community and caste can be made. This shall help us in calculating the dowry needed. Hence this shall fecilitate an advance planning by parents.
 
2- If it is an "affection-marriage", well the parents can actaully calculate the trade-off and hence based on the demand and desire can control the number of trips made by the parties for convincing them
 
3- The partners can actually calculate their years of togetherness and this shall motivate them to stay along and hence may increase the potential stability of marriage by making them submit to each other and hence understand each other better.

Approach 3- Dowry viewed as economic asset by the groom's family
Family A will get a bride from family B.
 
The dowry must be calculated based on the most sensitive expenditure of a family that will be affected on getting another girl. Hence according to me its food. Hence one must calculate the avg. monthly expenditure of food of Family A, say "x"
 
Marriage is nothing but can be viewed as transferring of one individual from one house to another permanently assuming the marital status to be infinite. Hence the monthly expenses on food for Family B can be calculated, say "y". Let the family mambers in this family be "a". So "y" can be leveraged on these family members for simplicity. So its "y/a" on the girl for share of expenditure.
 
Dowry is nothing but transferring this "y/a" from Family B to Family A aggregated to the number of years the marital bond lasts.
 
Now the life expectancy for men is 70 years in India (according to WHO report, 2006) and 67 for women. So marriage shall last till both the partners are alive and this is again assuming the bond is infinite and not broken by discord.
 
People marry in modern India at the age of 25 years minimum. So marriage lasts for 42 years.
 
Hence dowry to be paid = y/a X 12 X 42 rupees.
 
This is scientific way of determining again the dowry to be paid and has utility value rather than the show off value.
 
A Note and some concluding comments 
Dowry was never meant to be a contribution to the family's expenditure. Actually there is no justification of people asking such huge amounts. The incremental increase in family's expenses thanks to coming of a girl into its fold is very less compared to the wealth exchanged in name of dowryDowry is rather a show of power of individuals to society about the quality of life they are leading. Hence marriages are such expensive affairs. But if you look critically you shall see what we call marriage is actually chanting of a few mantrams and tying a knot. Throw in some new pairs of clothes for the couple. Its darn simple ceremony. Just blown into bits by the show-off. Personally I will love to marry in a court.

I am against dowry and so are many. But yet the system still exists. As a scientist, I love working with reality and not idealism . So refrain from judgements unlike my friend to whom I have dedicated this piece. 
 

10 comments:

Mamta Shenoy said...

Hello dear
Marriage is not a business deal . It is a ritual which connects two persons heart to heart and mind to mind . Transaction of money , goods and services is possible in any relationship but thsese r not the constraint for marriages to survive . Emotions changes from time to time according to situation .I have seen many families who have not been to any single trip but still their married life is quite comfortable . It is not dependent on dowry even because the desire is endless . Whatever amount a person is having he is never contented . If some one is having 2 lacs he/she craves for 4 lacs……… . In the same way if a persons goes for 3 trips a year the wife may expect more than that and so on ……..
Since the desire is endless no one can be fully satisfied and hence there is no constraint So ur equation is good for nothing . Marriage is a ritual based on sacrifice understanding and Love between two persons who r bound for ever but now a days because of the people who try to keep their monetary , personal and emotional gain above move for divorce .

Anonymous said...

Hello Surya,
I enjoyed reading your calculations...they are great. It also shows your mathematical skills. But when you write that certain people are "psychopaths" and that a fellow blogger is using "politically correct language" you yourself are bashing up mankind in an unwarranted way -- being very judgmental at others. This goes against bloggers' "variables" .
I don't agree to your considering marriage as a "problem definition" under auspices of "dowry" only. Dowry might be one of the variables of the equation not the entire equation. Marriage is a much more complex affair and no calculation can define the problem called marriage. As far as emotional quotients are concerned can you give us an exact quantitative measure? If you can -- you are a genius! And marriage is NOT "just" a transaction -- it's not merely a barter, it's an "industry" of a lifetime if you talk in terms of economics, where both parties need to negotiate, compromise and form policy decisions.
Anyway, you have a different perspective to look at the institution of marriage -- that's welcome, but there are other perspectives too.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a business adv. or some mathematical model of a company at the verge of bell-out.

First of all one should learn to give value and respect to others time and thought. By calling "psychopaths" to your fellow blogger shows what kind of maturity level you have. It seems, you want to fight with your fellow blogger at any cost and to show you are the MAN. That is an attitude of a "psychopath", one can say briefly. Ethics of blogging... as Aditya rightly pointed, is badly necessary in your blogs.

So far as your EQ-Emotions are concerned, you are just the opposite to your blog; un-necessary and un-ethical fighting with your fellow blogger on your own idea, which hardly any one supports (I doubt, whether you yourself supports that or not).

The other point I would like to mention here, had the people think about services as trip/months, the marriage in many Indian homes (including your family) would not have been a success.

Regarding aniversary, hardly any Indian couple remembers and celebrate in your way. People like you or so-called pseudo intellectuals celebrate to show.

So, how does the equation satisfies?
(Anniversary = k X EQ X months/trip X goods). when Anniversary=0? I think you need to read the basic 12th class maths.

The other serious objections I have "I define "k" as the "mile-age constant of a marriage". Can you tell me what would be the mile-age in your case. Be practical...

Remember, the word "Dowry" can put you in jail some day.

PS: Freedom of expression, does not mean you can glorify any thing, including your frustrations.

Surya said...

Hi Sidhu (not aware of your gender but from the type of response I guess you are a lady, I may be wrong too! :-)),

1- One "values" other's time and thought if they are found valuable. I know why I called that person a psychopath. The battle is mine, you are just an onlooker, remain there. Come, read, speak a bit here and there and vanish. Don't take sides, for you hardly know why the battle started. It questions your level of maturity. I hope you get it right my friend.

2- Well let me tell you, an idea is MADE to be acceptable by ceaseless intellectual debates. That fellow - blogger of mine is one. By your response I don't think you are what they say an "idea-person". So you will not understand of living and fighting for an idea.Seriously speaking you are not the audience for my blogs. Do not mind, but thats the blunt truth. And am openly stating I am not a person of High EQ or the "ladies man", or "marriage material". My blog is just a journey of self exploration of myself where I churn myself and be honest within me. I do not require your judgments. They are misplaced.

3- May be you are not aware of the principles of theory building. Just for your sake, I state here that before we build a theory (I have many published theories, so I have the authority to state it, we state something called assumptions that provide the foundation and scope of the theory.

My first assumption was this theory applies to love marriages only. Secondly it follows the "success-only" criterion that means the marriage ultimately happens. An explicit view of these assumptions, well you know how unscientific your response is. That way "Anniversary can never be zero". Your stating of how anniversary is celebrated in Indian families is outside the scope of this article and debate and is a misplaced representation of your frustration. I am sorry if my writing pressed the wrong button but then this is how I think. Prove me wrong scientifically, not with misplaced emotions. My 12th std maths does need a revision, for I have stated that anniversary is forward looking i.e. the couple are rational and determine the exact number of anniversaries they would like to celebrate together in future.

4- The mile age constant in my case I do not know. Shall calculate it after I get the girl I want. :-)

5- Dowry will not put me in jail, for I have openly stated that I do not support it. Read carefully before you glorify your frustrations and advise others.

Have a great life and dowry-less marriage !

Surya said...

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for reading my blog. Well I never intend to bash up humanity or "mankind". I just bashed up an individual and let me tell you for the right reasons which you are unaware of. And if I cannot call a "crow" as a "crow", then am untrue to my profession - research where we hunt after truth ceaselessly and leave no stones unturned. Being honest and brutally ruthless is part of our profession dude and you must excuse me for it. I never was judgmental on the humanity again. I judged an individual based on my interaction with her. Well what irks me is why a non-issue is debated here and not the actual content of the writing.

I defined marriage under the auspices of "dowry" simply because I wanted to keep my problem small and under the scope of bounded rationality. See for example you say that "it is much more a complex affair" then give me an alternate equation. Argue scientifically please, not with layman's statements. It is not right to say "no calculation can define the problem called marriage". Its just that we have not attempted it or lazy to attempt. Anything in this world can be defined, solved and conceptualized. Its just that one needs the time, expertise and interest. I think I have it in me. :-).

The exact instrument to measure EQ is still not out. But then all of us "satisfice" ourselves and not run after reality, do we? Any validated questionnaire should do. It can again open a market or business - by choice of various EQ instruments. Nevertheless I accept your this questioning of my assumption. Thanks for it.

Well I do not buy your argument that marriage is an "industry for a lifetime". I go very practically and may be I forgot to state explicitly that I assume that one day it shall break, be by death or divorce. And your argument holds good if both the partners die at the same time which is rare.

Anyways thats a nice thought of yours.

Have a great life.

Anonymous said...

Your replies show how arrogant you are.1-

"""One "values" other's time and thought if they are found valuable. I know why I called that person a psychopath. The battle is mine, you are just an onlooker, remain there. Come, read, speak a bit here and there and vanish. Don't take sides, for you hardly know why the battle started. It questions your level of maturity. I hope you get it right my friend."""

Thats what exactly Iam saying. I too know why should not I call you arrogant and psychopath.

You can write your theories, but do not try to defame or attack with such kind of words to others. Some one or the other will retaliate.

Your first guess is 100% wrong. I am not a lady. Also, do not guess the gender from a comment. I hope you are not doing research on that.

For your information, I am a scientist working on game theory in DRDO labs. I understand the research and have published 50+ papers in the last couple of years. This is neither to fight nor to show that I am great, rather to say that do not underestimate the human beings and your fellow bloggers (neither I know him/her, nor I want to know your connection). You have published some theory, that does not mean you are the god.

Anyway, I am not vanishing out will be in the surfing area in some or the other means.

Happy blogging my dear friend.

Surya said...

@Sidhu

I fail to understand why am I attacked personally for some thoughts which are also not the central theme of the writing. And I never judged your gender from your comments! I had admitted before itself that I may be wrong. You claim to be a scientist, yet how biased you appear in your arguments. Actually its more of an allegation than argument. You may hold the position of scientist, but my friend you fail to talk as one.

Have a good day... :-)

Anonymous said...

I do not think you were attacked personally. The central point of discussion is getting shifted, not because the idea is vague, but because of the approach and attacking attitude towards the comments and others (including to whom you have dedicated).

Just remember, world is also watching you in the same way you think.

Anyway, do not get personal and keep that in mind while writing an article in public. Else, it will be repeated by some one else.

Keep writing my friend.

Anonymous said...

Hello Surya,

Read your response to my comment and other comments and could not stop myself from chipping in. You wrote in the response that "why a non-issue" is being discussed on rather than focussing on the real content of your writing. But, the content is itself contaminated. It is you who brought that "non-issue" into picture. No one stops u from posting your theories, the only objections are regarding your attitude and etiquettes towards fellow beings (comments also included).

You are not the only researcher and only scientist in the world, it's not meant to defame you. But, there are millions who also deserve respect and kindly don't bring personal issues into public domain -- you are breaking "bloggers" and netizens etiquette.

Hope you realize what you are saying or writing in public...

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I think your ideas are really wierd and unrealistic.